Sunday, June 3, 2012

Week 8: Presentations

Public speaking has always been something that I struggle with. I get really nervous before getting up in front of a group of people. The group can be big or small and I still don't like it. I always seem to stumble over my words and I feel as if I get really hot and my face becomes flushed and I feel generally ill.

I have a graduation ceremony coming up for the kids in my pre-k class in a few weeks. Every year, my co-teacher and I work with the kids on learning songs, poems, and a dance to perform for their parents. The kids wear miniature sized caps and gowns and are presented with diplomas. The parents come prepared with video cameras, regular cameras and usually a collection of grandparents, aunts and uncles. We actually get quite a large turnout each year. This large group of people with all eyes on my (and other electronic devices) is enough to make me a a bit more than a little nervous. My co-teacher and I start out with a speech an then get the kids going with their routine they've been working on.

The textbook focuses on "Characteristics of Effective Delivery" in chapter 12. There are four general principles three other considerations when preparing a presentation. I will attempt to use these tips for a successful graduation ceremony this year.

General Principles:

1. Effective delivery is intelligible: Volume and rate re important when delivering a message. I want to make sure that I am not speeding through my delivery so that the parents can hear what I have to say about their children and their year in my classroom.

2. Effective delivery is conversational: Conversational implies that I need to speak with my group of parents rather than at them. I can achieve this by making eye contact and speaking openly and honestly about my time in the classroom.

3. Effective delivery is direct: Directness also involves eye contact. I want to make sure that I don't look at my notes too much and keep a relationship going with my audience.

4. Effective delivery is unobtrusive: The parents should be focusing on what I have to say and not what I'm doing. I want to make sure I'm not fidgeting or doing anything distracting while I am speaking.

Other Tips:

1. Appearance: Since graduation is the most important time of the year, I want to wear something nice but still keep it practical since I work with children and will be directing them throughout the ceremony. I will wear a dress that is both nice and functional and shoes that are easy to move around in. No high heels here!

2. Use of visual aids: My visual aids will be my children! We will set out the chairs for the parents in a way that they can get a good look at their children during the ceremony.

3. Timing: Practice makes perfect! We have been practicing the songs and dance but we will be setting up the chairs in advance to a few days before to make sure all the children know exactly where they need to be. This should help avoid some chaos during the actual ceremony.

Using these guidelines and tips, I should be able to present my piece to the families in an effective and fun way!

No comments:

Post a Comment