Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 2: Diversity

Diversity is defined as the condition of having or being composed of differing elements : variety; especially: the inclusion of different types of people (as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization.

Working in a childcare center that is mostly comprised of families that work for Boeing provides a lot of diverse interactions on a daily basis. Just in my classroom of twenty children, I have families that have moved to the greater Seattle area from as far as Austraila and New York. The backgrounds of my families are like a patchwork quilt. We have indidviduals with such diverse backgrounds; Chinese, Indian, English, German, Native American, Japanese, and Bulgarian just to name a few.

With so many different types of families in my care, the expectations they have for their children and for myself vary greatly. Some parents main concern is that their children receive a large amount of individual attention since they are work. Some parents put more focus on acedemics and others may be more worried about the social aspect of early education. Recognizing the diverse needs of each family helps me to plan out my curriculum for the week in a way that will satisfy each family.

I do think there are ways that I could improve the diversity that I bring into my classroom though. One of my goals is to create an outlet for the families to share their family's ways of life with the class. I want learn more about the families within my care so that I can understand the needs of their children.

I think that most companies will be very diverse. We live in a society today that is very diverse and I would like to improve my knowledge of different cultures and embrace the unique qualities of each culture that makes its way into my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment